Monday, September 22, 2008

The Nutcracker

Bangkok's 10th annual International Festival of Music and Dance is now underway! There are a lot of performances that I'd love to take in (such as the Paul Taylor Contemporary Dance Co. from New York), but since I'm outta here in a week I only had time for one - and I chose a classic - the Nutcracker.

Although it was a little strange to be watching a Christmas show in the middle of September, the show was spectacular. Performed by the Russian Bashkir State Ballet Theatre and accompanied by a full orchestra, the music and incredible dancers certainly got me wishing for snow and presents under the tree. I was a little blindsided by the hot sun and heat when I left the theater!

It was nice to get a touch of culture here in the big city. As I've mentioned before there's not much to choose from in the way of music or the arts here in BKK. So, this interesting festival was a nice surprise. Of course, I attended alone - Sean couldn't handle 2 hours of ballet and it seems my Thai girl friends weren't much into it either ;) But regardless, I enjoyed the show and was happy to be able to catch an international festival like this before heading back home.

No comments: