Friday, September 26, 2008

Israel - Flight with El Al

This morning I arrived in Tel Aviv, part of a last minute work trip. I caught a direct flight from Bangkok with Israel's national airline, El Al. Known for their tight security, I got the opportunity to experience it first hand. Even before getting to the check-in counter, El Al security drilled me for 15 minutes. Angus and Meg had dropped me off and were waiting for me, to which security asked, "who are they and how long have you known them?"

Once I got to my boarding gate, security brought me to a small room, privately searched all of my luggage, thoroughly checked my clothes/shoes, and drilled me with more questions. I guess I had a unabomber look going or something.

The flight was uneventful. I simply dozed in and out of sleep. It was a nasty 12-hour flight, I think it takes so long because El Al has to avoid the airspace of various Arab nations.

Currently, I'm settled away in my hotel. My room overlooks the beach on the Mediterranean Sea were numerous people are enjoying various water activities (kite surfing looks like SO much fun!). My first impressions of Israel? Let's just say that Adam Sandler's new movie, "You Don't Mess With The Zohan" is not as inaccurate as you'd probably think. Exaggerated, yes, but not completely inaccurate. Beach tennis ("matkot") is very popular here. :)

No comments: