Monday, December 10, 2007

Snakes!?! I HATE snakes!!!

Meg and I had our first encounters with a snake today which turned out to be quite frightening. We'd just come from getting massages (the legit kinds - nothing sketchy) and we're walking back to our hotel. As we passed a bus stop, a couple of Thais started saying something to us but we didn't understand and politely continued on, thinking they were the usual pushy tuk-tuk drivers. Then, another few Thais, including a policeman, started calling about 20 feet ahead of us. They were pointing behind us so I turned around and the same men we'd just passed were also still calling after us and were now too pointing. We finally clued into what they were saying as a man grab our arms and started pulling us forward - "Snake! Snake!"

Coiled in the bushes, less than a foot away from where I was standing oblivious to the apparent danger, was a enormous snake (probably 3 inches in diameter at its thickest)! Unfortunately, it was in the shade so we couldn't see the colour very well (seemed grayish) and no one understood when I asked what kind of snake it was but based on their reaction I don't think it was friendly. Even when I was about 3 meters away and tried moving in a bit for a closer look, they hauled me back. Angus seems to think it might have been a cobra....

No comments: