Sunday, August 3, 2008

Rediscovering Tuk Tuks

Since moving to Bangkok, both Sean and I have learned to be weary of the very many ways local scam artists try to trick you out of your money. One of the tried and true methods is for tuk tuks and taxis to charge exorbitant amounts of money for transport. While the taxis have a meter than you can insist upon, there's no real guidelines for tuk tuks...you just have to go by what you think is fair.

Because of all the unfair attempts to part us from our money, usually followed by eye rolling and/or angry Thai muttering when we turn our backs, we've pretty much given up using tuk tuks. They're also really smelly and bad for the environment. Oh and the drivers drive like maniacs. BUT despite all this, I thought I'd better give Marion a try on one. You know, so she could get the real Bangkok experience.

So this is when my rediscovery occurred. We approached a tuk tuk driver and I told him where we were going and asked how much (all in Thai which is bound to result in a little more respect from him). To my surprise he gave what seemed like a fair price, so we hopped aboard and took off for home. Once we arrived he eagerly gave me my change (without me having to hassle him for it) and then happily let Marion take a few pictures. Turns out, not all tuk tuk drivers are mean scammers. I'm sure MOST are, but not all :) So thank you to our happy tuk tuk driver for helping me rediscover the fun of this crazy and unique method of transport!

Here are a couple of the pictures!



No comments: