Thursday, July 3, 2008

The Name Game

Sean and I have lots of nicknames for each other...but the latest is definitely blog-worthy. We were our for lunch with Tui and Bryan when I happened to ask about the Thai word for chillies. Tui responded "Prik". Bryan and I immediately giggled....yes, giggled. C'mon! It's funny! And so, somehow we ended up calling Sean Khun Prik for the rest of lunch (Khun is formality - sort of equal to Mr.).

That night we had our Thai lesson. By some strange coincidence our teacher asked us if we'd been given Thai nicknames yet (it's very common to have a short nickname). I sort of laughed but said no. But then Sean spoke up and said "Yeah, actualy, Meg started calling me Prik today!". The teachers eyes lit up..."Prik! Chillie! Like, you're spicy!!!!". LOL! We tried to hide the laughter and just nodded along. For the rest of the lesson she referred to him as Khun Prik. And yes, I laughed every time. Our friends are loving this. Tui now calls him P'Prik - basically Big Prik. LOL!!!!!

Love learning Thai! So many funny moments and misunderstandings! hehe.

No comments: