Sunday, March 23, 2008

Akha Hilltribe Village

Last week I went on my first trip for work (I know I haven't mentioned much about work on the blog...but basically I'm loving it!). My co-worker Tui and I set off for a Northern Hilltribe Village settled by Akha Tribes-people about 50 years ago when they immigrated from Southern China. The purpose of this visit was to survey the community and determine its viability as a community-based tourism destination (this is all part of a country-wide community-based tourism development project).

So basically, I had no idea what to expect. I knew we'd be staying in a homestay accommodation (literally, someone's home) but really didn't know what facilities we'd have. I was trying to remain optimistic ;)

Upon arrival in the village I was faced with a number of interesting facts:
- The Akha people speak the Akha language. Only a few people in the village speak Thai and absolutely nobody speaks any English. This made me, the only Westerner for miles, twice removed from any conversation or translation.
- The homes are made from bamboo and grass...'nuff said.
- The villagers' food roams freely around the community. I'm talking cows, chickens, pigs, etc. Just walking around the streets...
- There's no running water. At all. Talk about suddenly really missing those things you generally take for granted!

So anyway, I spent two solid days in a state of serious shock. But I did manage to enjoy myself as well! It was like being in a different world - watching the women in their traditional dress, seeing the kids running around completely carefree, eating food that had not only been gathered from the surrounding forest but then cooked over a fire in the bamboo home. Crazy!

I really don't think I've digested the whole experience yet - I'll need some more time to put it all in perspective. Thankfully I took hundreds of pictures to remind myself of things I probably missed while in my shocked state! Here are just a few:

This is the home we stayed in. Notice the pig under the patio...


The woman of the house wearing her traditional headdress and jewelery (they wear this every day! And most sleep in it as well)

Her husband, carrying their granddaughter.

Me and Tui with a group of performers that put off a traditional show for us! They're wearing the ceremonial dress used for special occasions. I should mention that these outfits are not something of the past - they're still worn throughout the year on auspicious days and for special ceremonies.


You can see many more pictures here. Enjoy! And wish me luck for my next trip - I leave on Monday!

No comments: