Monday, January 7, 2008

SHARK!!!

Meg and I had an eventful first weekend back in Bangkok. Friday night, our friends Angus and Oh took us for our first authentic Thai clubbing experience. There are two major differences from what we're used to: 1) you can't buy beer or single mixed drinks. You buy 40s of whiskey instead! and 2) there are no dance floors, you just dance at the standing table you're drinking at. I have to hand it to the Thais, they know how to drink. They may even rival the Newfoundlanders!

The rest of our weekend was spent doing the tourist thing. We first went to Jim Thompson's house for a tour of the place. JT was an American OSS officer stationed in Bangkok after WWII. He resigned, settled in Bangkok, and was responsible for rejuvenating the Thai silk trade and marketing it internationally. In 1967, he went for a walk in Malaysia and mysteriously disappeared - to this day, no one knows what happened to him. Creepy!



Afterwards, we went to Siam Ocean World, a gigantic indoor aquarium. The tour was really fascinating and featured all kinds of aquatic life. My favorites were the rays and turtles but Meg seemed more interested in the sharks. :)



Actually, for anyone who doesn't know, Meg's greatest fear ever is sharks...which made the tour a lot of fun for me. There was a "glass bottom boat tour" that we took. When the first shark passed underneath the boat in perfect view, Meg almost cried. ;) Make sure your volume is turned up for this one....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The best video I have ever seen!!

Thanks guys!
Mark

Unknown said...

Meaghan, you poor thing! Did it help you overcome your fear? Maybe now you'll watch JAWS with me when you guys return ;)

Unknown said...

Nice work Burridge!!! :)
I'm impressed with your mixing skills. I'll put in a word for you next time I talk to Steve (he's busy with the release of Indiana Jones right now)...
BTW, I totally got the 'Snakes?!? I hate Snakes!' blog. It was priceless... :)

Suddha

Sean said...

Yeah, I knew you'd catch that reference. I left it especially for you. :)