Monday, February 18, 2008

Newfoundland Liberation Army invades BKK

This morning as I was waking through the grocery store in the kind of daze that shelf after shelf of Asian food I don't understand and packaging I can't read puts me in, I absent-mindedly turned a corner and came face-to-face with possibly the last thing I ever thought I'd see in a Thai grocery store: a Republic of Newfoundland t-shirt.

My first reaction to this miracle involved jumping up and down and saying "OH MY GOD" very loudly while smiling like a maniac and possibly hugging the girl. In the end I settled for a simple, "wow, are you from Newfoundland?" (I still don't think this hid my excitement...)

In the end I found out that the girl and her mother are actually from New Brunswick but her father lives in Paradise. She'd picked up the shirt during a visit. Wild! We discussed the difficulty of buying groceries in Asia, our respective travels and "why we're here" stories. Turns out they've traveled and lived all over! I laughed when she asked if this was my first Asian experience and then went on to tell me how this was "seriously Asian" whereas a place like Hong Kong is only "light Asia"...perhaps we should have started there!

We had a great chat and they gave me their contact details so I could get in touch anytime. We may get together for coffee (or something) soon :) Maybe she'll know of a secret grocery store where I can buy Tetley Tea...Hmmmmmm

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This makes me very excited for you!! Yey!!